Social Navigation

Who is she where is the woman who was cleared of murdering her boyfriend steven freeman 2


Mary Katherine Higdon: Who Is She? Where is the woman who was cleared of murdering her boyfriend Steven Freeman?

Mary Katherine Higdon, a Georgia woman who spent many years as a preschool aide, has been accused of killing the guy who was her high school love at their residence.

Higdon worked as a preschool teacher assistant at the St. George’s Episcopal School in Griffin, Georgia. She is charged with killing Steven Freeman, a 23-year-old man, by shooting him. His family remembered him affectionately, mentioning his Southern drawl, commitment to helping others, and love of fishing and hunting in particular.

Freeman worked as a metal worker at Drain Right Gutters & Roofing, Inc., according to his Facebook page, and he had previously worked as a stacker at the Food Depot. Additionally, there are numerous images of Freeman and Mary Katherine Higdon on his Facebook page.

Freeman was described as having been born and raised in Griffin, Georgia, where he later attended Spalding High School and Gordon State College to complete his schooling. Freeman updated his Facebook status in 2012 to indicate that he was “in a relationship,” and as of that year, he had not made any notable publicly viewable entries.

The main suspect in relation to the shooting death of Steven Freeman is Mary Katherine. When the police arrived at the residence the couple shared on Sunnybrook Drive in Griffin, Georgia, which is situated about an hour west of Atlanta, she was also taken into custody.

Katherine was detained in the Spalding County Jail while her case was being heard in court. Mary was exonerated of the charges.

Mary Katherine, a former classroom assistant, was charged with murdering her boyfriend but was cleared of the charge.

When the judge made the decision to clear Mary Katherine Higdon of all counts, including intentional homicide, negligent homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, and carrying a weapon while committing a crime, many people in the courtroom were shocked.

On the charges that Steven Freeman had a history of both sexual and physical violence, they based their defense. Multiple text messages were produced by Mary Katherine’s public attorney, Michael Granims, to prove the defendants’ contention that they were acting in self-defense.

They hired a specialist, who based on Mary Katherine’s symptoms determined that she had Battered Woman Syndrome. Five times, including once for a brawl involving the couple’s family members, the police had been called to the couple’s home before August 1, 2018.

Mary Katherine Higdon

Many individuals are eager to learn Mary Katherine’s whereabouts and the state of her affairs at the moment. A jury found that the teaching assistant, who was only 24 at the time, was not accountable for either the murder or the possession of a pistol, leading to her exoneration.

Mary Katherine returned to her home in Griffin, Georgia once the trial’s proceedings on her side were over. She has kept it a secret and hasn’t been very active online since, probably to escape the public’s and the media’s attention.

It stands to reason that Mary Katherine is now leading a calm life away from the spotlight after being able to put her gruesome past behind her.

Mary Katherine Higdon

According to the reports, Mary Katherine Higdon allegedly told law police that the gun accidentally went off. She said that the gun went off as she was handing it to Freeman in their home’s back room, according to WSB-TV Atlanta. She was there when it happened.

According to the news outlet, the police dispute the veracity of this account. According to the investigation’s lead detective, the evidence backs up the government’s claim that there was a “motive to murder.” He said nothing more in his explanation.

Steven Andrew Higdon, who had been wounded in the chest, succumbed to his wounds and died. In reaction to the accusations made against her, Higdon is reported to have informed WSB-TV that she “didn’t realize what transpired since she had never maintained a firearm in the chamber.”

Higdon allegedly told the police that the gun discharged accidentally, according to the accounts. According to what WSB-TV Atlanta reported, she claimed to be in the back room of their house when the gun went off as she was delivering it to Freeman.

On the other hand, the news station reports that the police disagree with this account. The main detective told the television station that there was “intent to kill,” according to the evidence, but he did not give any facts to support his assertion.

Steven Andrew Higdon was shot in the chest, which is what killed him.

TV’s Higdon allegedly said that she “didn’t comprehend what occurred since she never kept a round in the chamber,” according to WSB-report. She never kept a round in the chamber, thus this is in reference to that.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the couple’s family members said they had been together for seven years and had been best friends in high school.

Uncle to Freeman, Josh Thacker, was cited in the newspaper as saying, “The phrase devastation doesn’t even begin to touch it.” It might be very challenging to control your tears for even a short period of time.

He proceeded by saying, “This has cost us the lives of two people. Our relationship with Mary Katherine will undoubtedly change despite the fact that we are mourning Steven’s passing. My thoughts and prayers are also with the Higdon family during this trying time as they go through a similar ordeal.

According to the accusations made against Mary Katherine Higdon, she is being looked into for both murder and having a gun while committing a crime.

At a nearby hospital, Freeman passed away. Approximately at 10:42 p.m. on August 1, 2018, police were called to the house.

Steven Freeman was born in Thomaston, Georgia, on January 1, 1995, according to an emotional obituary for him.

“Steven lived a life bursting with love, joy, sympathy, and loyalty.” Everyone was his friend, but those that enjoyed hunting and fishing with him were his closest friends. He had a heart of gold, a bounce in his step, and a charming Southern drawl, according to what is written in his obituary.

Steven showed his love for you by making you feel as though you were the only person in the world, making you laugh till your stomach hurt, always having a big smile on his face, giving you bear hugs, feeding you deer meat, and never leaving your side. Those three simple words, “I Love You,” never failed to inspire him.

According to his Facebook page, Freeman was a metal worker at Drain Right Gutters & Roofing, Inc. and a former stacker at the Food Depot. Additionally, there are various pictures of Freeman and Mary Katherine Higdon on his page.

According to his biography, Freeman attended Spalding High School in Griffin, Georgia, and Gordon State College for his schooling. He was born and is currently a resident of the same city. He updated his profile in 2012 to state that he was “in a relationship,” and no notable posts from more recent years were available for public viewing.

Other older posts use words like “sooo bored. On Friday nights, it is anticipated that people will enjoy themselves. But that was in 2010, when Freeman was still a young adolescent.

Thank you to everyone for the love and support you have shown me and my family over the past few days, a family member wrote in a Facebook message. Steven would be really happy to learn that so many people genuinely care about us and have made such an effort to soften the blow we are now facing. He vowed never to let any of us down.

The investigators also claimed that they could smell alcohol on Higdon’s breath and that she was rambling, according to WSB.

The television station also said that throughout the previous year, the police had been called to the house five times in total, with two of those calls involving domestic violence and the remaining three calls involving animal-related problems.

Higdon allegedly told the authorities, “I didn’t mean to do that,” according to a neighbor, who spoke to the television station. A warrant was issued for Higdon’s arrest.

Categorized in:

Share Article:

Joanna Swanson

Joanna Swanson is Europe correspondent at the Thomson Reuters Foundation based in Brussels covering politics, culture, business, climate change, society, economies and inclusive tech. With specific focus in breaking news, she has covered some of the world's most significant stories.